Can I stop contributing?

If you are self-employed or not employed, you can stop (and resume) contributing at any time. If you are employed, you can take a “contributions holiday” (i.e. suspend your contributions) after contributing for 12 or more months, or if you are suffering financial hardship. A contributions holiday can be for any period between 3 months and 5 years. You will need to resume contributing at the end of the holiday unless you apply for a further holiday. There is no limit to the number of times you can take a contributions holiday.